nafex - Re: [nafex] CAR apple

  • From: "Scott Weber and Muffy Barrett" <bluestem_farm@juno.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] CAR apple
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 02:15:41 GMT

Betsy,The CAR has a convoluted life cycle such that the rust on your trees
can ONLY infect cedars; it can't re-infect apples, juneberries, quince, etc.
The cedar-produced rust spores can ONLY infect apples, quince, etc.; they
can't re-infect cedars. That's why everyone is telling you to get rid of the
cedars. If you can't do that, you'll have to live with some rust (or spray)
and eventually remove or topwork any 'resistant' varieties that get it too
badly. Good luck with it.Muffy Barrettz4 Wisc.