nafex - Re: [nafex] Baba Berry and Kiowa Blackberry and AR varieties

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Baba Berry and Kiowa Blackberry and AR varieties
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 15:16:52 -0700 (PDT)

Charlie,

Baba is a primocane fruiting red raspberry.  It has red fruit, has no
blackberry charactaristics, and is most certainly not a blackberry x
raspberry hybrid.  I have read enough things about Tyty on the web and heard
from other people that I take anything I read on their website with a grain
of salt.  I have no idea what they are selling, but if the picture matches
the plant, it isn't Baba, and neither is their description.

Because you are in Massachusetts, I don't think that Baba can really be
recommended for your area.  It is a low-chill variety that is heat tolerant
and not terribly cold hardy (although that doesn't matter so much if you are
only growing it for the primocane crop).  There are much better adapted
raspberry varieties that will do well in your area that have better fruit
quality and will likely perform better for you.

As for Kiowa, it is a large fruit with nice flavor, but again I'm hesitant to
recommend it for you because it is not particularly cold-hardy either.  Also
it suckers underground which could be a problem if you are concerned about
controlling it.  I think something like Triple Crown would be a much better
choice for your area.

Michael

Michael Dossett
Mission, British Columbia