nafex - [nafex] Open Centre versus Central Leader

  • From: Caren Kirk <quirky@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] Open Centre versus Central Leader
  • Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 08:28:41 -0400

I am hoping someone can help me clear up some confusion I have with open centre and central leader pruning techniques. I have read certain books on fruit tree care that state categorically that central leader is the best way to prune, giving a better shaped tree. I have read others that state that for the home orchardist, open centre technique is the one way to guarantee smaller trees for easy harvest. I have read further material that suggests that pruning technique is particular to species (e.g. peaches should be open centre, pears, central leader), and even varieties (certain upright apples, central leader, other drooping forms, open centre).

Can anyone offer any insight/ advice/ clarifications? By the way I have apples, crab apples, pears, plums, peach, apricot and cherries.

Thanks,

Caren Kirk
St. Jerome, QC