nafex - Re: [nafex] Early pruning

  • From: Caren Kirk <quirky@videotron.ca>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Early pruning
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 11:04:49 -0400

Steve,

As far as this list goes I'd say we're neighbours!

Did my pruning yesterday, there was a lot more green on the cuts than usual although the buds were all still tightly closed.

Strange insects about with the warm weather, worried that could be a new problem.

Not worried too much apart from the apricot, can't do much about it anyway.

I am going to vigilantly monitor the precipitation though. A couple of years back we had a very dry, warm spring and I lost a couple of young plants (including a young apple tree) and I strongly believe it was through lack of water during the spring (never thought to water in spring here previously). With the rapid melt and warm weather I feel it could go that way again. But who know, it could rain all next week!

Good Luck for Monday, I've had a success protecting plants in the autumn with sheets and blankets, don't know if that's a viable option for the scale of your fruit production or if it even works in spring.

Caren