nafex - [nafex] Multiple fruit trees IN SAME hole - so that they fuse

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] Multiple fruit trees IN SAME hole - so that they fuse
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 23:18:33 -0500 (EST)

What would happen if you planted 3 varieties of, for instance, sweet cherry
in the same hole, all on the same rootstocks; but not plant them 12" to 30"
apart, but just 3" apart. Undoubtedly, they would eventually fuse
(inosculate). Since you would, typically, maintain the tree with pruning,
why couldn't you control the tree's ultimate structure so that the most
dominate variety or varieties do not prevail over the least vigorous with a
pruning program?

I'm thinking of planting all of my cherries in the same hole; then all of my
pears in another; etc.

I wonder why I can't find mature, time-tested examples of the Dave Wilson
approach, which is different from this plan.

Thanks,
Steve; NJ