nafex - Re: [nafex] Overgrown Peach

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Overgrown Peach
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 08:33:47 -0500

Karen,
I can't help much on pruning it without actually seeing it, but if you ever get root suckers from this wild peach tree, let me know!
I would be interested...
Claude

Le 08:07 12.02.24, vous avez écrit:
A couple of years ago I bought a Reliance Peach as an experiment,
which never survived the winter. However I left the rootstock in the
ground and it grew and has now become a little tree/ bush. Last year I
had one or two peaches fro the first time. They were small, hairy, very
pale, but actually quite sweet and delicious.

So now I have tasted them I've decided I will be keeping the peach after
all. Unfortunately I have done a bad job of pruning it, and It does look
like an overgrown bush at the moment.

In order to make it more tree like I would have to trim off some very
large, very low branches. The diameter of one of these is 2/3 to 3/4 of
the main trunk.

Any advice on how to do this without ruining the tree?

I know I should have done it before,what can I say, we can't always be
perfect!

Caren Kirk
St. Jerome, QC