nafex - [nafex] Any point to growing 'Danube'/'Jubileum' sweet-sour cherry Hungarian hybrids - if you already have sweet AND sour cherries.

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] Any point to growing 'Danube'/'Jubileum' sweet-sour cherry Hungarian hybrids - if you already have sweet AND sour cherries.
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 21:51:44 -0500 (EST)

Any point to growing 'Danube'/'Jubileum' sweet-sour cherry hybrids - if you
already have a collection of sweet cherries and a separate collection of sour
cherries.
Since the Hungarian hybrid cherries ('Danube', 'Jubilieum') have P. avium in
them, they are - as recently stated - more susceptible to brown-root then
with pure P. cerasus varieties typically are.
And, as John Henderson mentioned, they are not sweet-enough to compete with
the better sweet-cherry cultivars; they do not have enough of the true
sour-cherry flavor character that the better pure P. cerasus sour-cherries
have.
John, disappointingly states: "...not quite an eating-of-our-hand
[varieties]". So many descriptions, including that of Cummins Nursery, yet
remark that these are delicious out-of-hand cherries.
So, then what's the point of growing these hybrid cherries? Is it because
this is a smaller alternative to sweet-cherry? Or is it because some don't
really like true sour-cherry.
I'm already growing (or about to):

Sweet cherries - Benton, Black Gold, and White Gold
Sour cherry (true) - North Star*, Evans (Bali) - as an experiment

Secondly, since I live in zone 6b NJ, will I end-up with disease issues with
my 'North Star' sour-cherry? If so, should I give it away and restart with
'Sumadinka', since I'm looking for a red-juiced variety of sour-cherry? I
saw some data excluding 'Sumadinka' under the category of self-fruitful; that
would not be something I like.
So, I may be looking for a variety (preferably semi-dwarf) that is
red-fruited, self-fertile, etc. as a replacement for 'North Star'; or should
'North Star' do well in the northeast (zone 6).
Thanks,
Steve