nafex - Re: [nafex] [nafex ibiblio list] Eleagnus umbellata, Autumn Olive - interested in sources for seedlings of this plant

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@bellsouth.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] [nafex ibiblio list] Eleagnus umbellata, Autumn Olive - interested in sources for seedlings of this plant
  • Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 23:44:02 -0500

On 2/2/2012 9:57 PM, Dr. Chiranjit Parmar wrote:
Is the Eleagnus umbellata (Autumn olive) you are talking about the same
which we have here in Himalayan mid-hills. If yes, then we do not have a
problem like you have this plant.

That is it, at least that is what I have here on my farm.

Its a matter of whether you would have bare ground to become eroded barren landscape, devoid of life, vegetation, wildlife and happy backhoes, bulldozers, track and skid loaders and groaning dumptrucks heading off to the landfill or acres or square miles of valuable plants.
Its much harder to put the ecoscape back than it is to remove it. Think permaculture and put these "invasive plants" to use or work around them or at worst grind them up and spread the mulch on site to be planted with something else.

This societal abberation that condones indiscriminate vegetation removal without replacement using machinery or herbicide needs to come to a screeching halt.

There is a chapter on this fruit in Fruitipedia at the following link.

http://fruitipedia.com/ghain-elagnus%20umbellata.htm

Please have a look and then do write me back.

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
186/3 Jail Road
Mandi HP 175001, India
01905-222810; 094181-81323