nafex - Re: [nafex] [nafex ibiblio list] Eleagnus umbellata, Autumn Olive - interested in sources for seedlings of this plant

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] [nafex ibiblio list] Eleagnus umbellata, Autumn Olive - interested in sources for seedlings of this plant
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 14:41:09 -0600

After seeing parts of Virginia that were practically a pure culture of Autumn olive, I have tried to prevent ours from ever fruiting again. I dig out little ones here and there, and when we got a couple of small goats to eat brush, I thought they'd help. As it turns out, they don't like autumn olive, and I suppose neither do the deer that must live in all those VA thickets of the stuff. My son out in WA state told me about someone who is paid to run goats on govt and railway land to eat English ivy. He said it was terribly expensive to have people try to remove it, and both cheap and effective to have the goats do it. He said that the person doing this in his area run a lot of goats in a small area with electric fencing, and that when they were done it would be 5 years before the ivy got to be a problem again. Maybe we have here some kind of Nafexers oddball way to make some money, because I can tell you that goats love blackberry plants (for the West coast) and roses (multiflora in the east). Someone in another TN county showed me a 20-30 ft wide multiflora hedge dating back to the 1950's. It takes awhile to really do them in, as you'd have to come through and mow back the branches to let them into another section of the thicket. I've been dealing with honeysuckle here, and the goats are really helping a lot. Donna