nafex - [nafex] Elderberry Cuttings

  • From: Dan Nave <nave1@comcast.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] Elderberry Cuttings
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 20:07:55 -0600

I had ordered six elderberry cuttings from Elderberry Life, two each of Wyldwood 1 and 2, and Bob Gordon.

They just mailed them to me and the instructions imply that I should root them in water and plant in soil, then outside when danger of frost is past, or just in soil and then outside. I put them in the refrigerator temporarily.

My question is, does it seem reasonable to start them like this so early? I would have to do it inside or course, we aren't past the danger of frost until Mother's day (middle of May) and it was 10F below zero night before last...

Dan