nafex - Re: [nafex ibiblio list] Experience with perry pears?

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex ibiblio list] Experience with perry pears?
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 05:52:07 -0500

Le 12:57 12.01.14, vous avez écrit:
It is tree-ordering time (for me) and this year my mind has turned to perry
pears -- or you may want to call them something else. There are not many
cultivars for sale in the US (or Canada I belive) and not much information
about them. Would people with experience like to pass it on?

I have 6 perry pear varieties near Quebec, zone 4: Blakeney Red, Gin, Hendre Huffcap, Thorn, Winnal’s Longdon and Yellow Huffcap. They all seem hardy enough, fairly vigorous except Blakeney Red, but all are quite shy producers. Another problem is it seems the season is too short here for the fruit to mature properly - only Thorn really ripens well.
Claude