nafex - Re: [nafex ibiblio list] Experience with perry pears?

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex ibiblio list] Experience with perry pears?
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 11:36:18 -0500

Le 09:51 12.01.15, vous avez écrit:
Claude, how long is your season...? I've just put Hendre Huffcap and
Barland in. Here in sw WI our last freeze Mid May and the weather
declines pretty rapidly around mid Oct....
~mIEKAL

Pear bloom is usually last week of May here, and may vary from mid-May to first week of June depending on years. And mid-October is really the latest for harvesting. In any case things that are not ripe by Oct 1 will not ripen much mure if left on the tree after that date. Also you need to consider we do not have very hot summers here.
Last fall Winnal's Longdon and Hendre Huffcap were harvested on Oct 10, still hard and green. They did ripen in storage, but became bletted before I had time to process them! It seems you need to check them almost every day...
Thorn was harvested Sept 29, and was OK.
Claude,
Quebec, z.4