nafex - Re: [nafex ibiblio list] Peach kernel - substitute for sweet almond(making marzipan)?

  • From: "Dr. Chiranjit Parmar" <parmarch_mnd@dataone.in>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex ibiblio list] Peach kernel - substitute for sweet almond(making marzipan)?
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 15:59:40 +0530

I do not agree that ALL all stone fruits have poisonous pits.

There are many varieties of apricots, especially which come here from Afghanistan, which have sweet and edible pits. There are also some wild apricots which have sweet pits. The kernels of a wild growing apricot CHULLI (details available in Fruitipedia t the link, http://fruitipedia.com/chulli_apricot.htm) are edible, used as almond substitute and are even sold in local markets.

The kernels of many trees of the wild growing peach like fruit BEHMI (http://fruitipedia.com/behmi.htm) are sweet and edible.

One of my former students, now a professor of horticulture, was telling me that he had spotted a sweet kernelled peach at Sharbo (adjacent to Tibet) in Kinnaur district of Himachal Pradesh.

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
186/3 Jail Road
Mandi HP 175001, India
01905-222810; 094181-81323