nafex - Re: [nafex ibiblio list] Apricots (and sour-cherry) best in morning-only sun?

  • From: david liezen <chandos49@hotmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex ibiblio list] Apricots (and sour-cherry) best in morning-only sun?
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 00:40:57 +0000

Steve,Here in the sunny inland NW I know of an apricot tree that stands on
the north of a house. The lower half is shaded from mid-day sun. Fruit is
juicy, but nearly impossible to pick, since the tree's never been pruned.
Whatever fruit I've gathered from it was within reach from the ground.
Several places I have read that the sort of pie cherry I have out back -
English Morello - is tolerant of partial shade. It also does well with plenty
of sun, as it is in the sunniest spot in my yard. Pie cherries of all kinds
are hardier, less prone to diseases and smaller than sweet cherries. Enjoy
that Evans/Bali.
Dave Liezen