nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hardier sub-tropicals in zone 6: hardier when mature?

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hardier sub-tropicals in zone 6: hardier when mature?
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 15:34:15 -0500

Steve, dieback is often to the roots and so grafted trees throw a wrench in
your plan. I once had a kaki die back but it somehow budded less than 1"
from the graft and grew back, so I was only an inch from disaster on that
one. And, when trees do grow back from roots they can take several years to
get back to fruiting form. Figs and poms are on their own roots usually so
they can work with your plan. Don't get Violette de Bordeaux or other less
hardy figs, that one dies back every few years for me. Kazake may be hard to
bring to ripeness in your shorter season. I am not growing mulberries so
can't comment on them.

Scott