nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Parafilm

  • From: tanis cuff <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Parafilm
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 21:07:08 +0000

>From someone who has used it only a little:

Cut from the roll strips 1/2" to 3/4" wide. Stretch a strip to about double
its length (doing this from memory, no parafilm in probably 30 miles)
carefully. You'll probably tear a couple before you get the hang of it.
Wrap around the graft-- I do almost entirely splice-grafts-- starting at the
bottom. Pull it a little snug as you wrap. Again, you might tear the
parafilm, so do a few practice runs. You end up with a barber shop pole
appearance. The stretched parafilm pretty much sticks to itself, so you
don't need to worry about tying or tucking the end of the wrap.

For bench-grafting, proceed to callusing. For outdoor spring grafting, walk
away and try not to bump or mess with it for a couple weeks, except watering
the rootstock if needed. The parafilm will fall apart when the graft expands.

Parafilm allows you to use scions that are ridiculously thin. Sometimes
that's all you can get, so it's nice to have a wrap which works with them.

tc, sWI, mostly open winter so far and night temps way above usual