nafex - Re: [NAFEX] size of mature Kaki persimmon and Japanese raisin; nafex Digest, Vol 106, Issue 19

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] size of mature Kaki persimmon and Japanese raisin; nafex Digest, Vol 106, Issue 19
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 16:27:29 -0500 (EST)

Hi Dr. Chiranjit,

Don't you find that non-astringent Kaki graft-reject eventually? Also, I
just saw a 30' tall Diospyros lotus - and ate the fruit. So, do you think
that Kaki slightly dwarfs the lotus persimmon. Maybe I over-estimated the
lotus tree's height that I saw. The fruit was like that of a low-sugar D.
virginiana persimmon.

Also, the website you directed to me indicates that Hovenia dulcis
(Japanese-raisin tree) gets to be a large 60' tree; however, most of the
material online seems to indicate that it gets to be almost 30' in
cultivation. Theoretically, D. lotus can get as high as 60 to 90' in it's
native habitat; yet, in the USA and UK, it never exceeds 30'. However,
Hovenia dulcis does, sometimes, get as high - there is only one or two
examples that I know of it getting super-large.

Steve

Dear Steven,

There is chapter on Japanese raisin tree in Fruitipedia at the link,
http://fruitipedia.com/japanese_raisin.htm and also chapter on kaki
persimmon at the link, http://fruitipedia.com/Persimmon.htm.

I have not seen trees of Asian persimmon growing taller than 20 ft in India.
We use D. lotus as rootstock.

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
186/3 Jail Road
Mandi HP 175001, India