nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Asian pear Roostocks

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Asian pear Roostocks
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 08:44:02 -0500

Steve, I don't like BET in small spaces as it is too vigorous. I have many
asians on OH333 and they are doing great and fruiting early. Similar for
OH513 but its not as precocious. I have only one asian on BET but it is
still not heavily fruiting and it is eight years old. This tree is somewhat
too vigorous, but my really vigorous trees on BET are all European pears.
Note that I have my pear trees very closely planted in a hedgerow so strong
dwarfing is very important for me; I am not sure how that compares to your
needs for dwarfing.

Scott z7 MD