nafex - [NAFEX] Cherrys & Plums out-growing dwarfing rootstocks & misc.

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Cherrys & Plums out-growing dwarfing rootstocks & misc.
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 23:37:09 -0500 (EST)

Group:

I recently saw an example of an old sweet cherry (P. avium) that outgrew its
rootsock (Mazzard? or some other type) at The Lehman orchard; the cherry tree
is now on the decline.

1. Do you suspect that Prunus spp. (apricots, plums, and cherries) grafted
upon 'KRYMSK 1' rootstock would, in time, out-grow their rootstocks: that
they scion/variety would have a much thinker trunk then the rootstock and die
in a few decades? I suppose this is too new a rootstock to tell for sure.

2. To save a tree from dying should the above describe situation actually
begin to occur, could you burry the graft union of a mature grafted tree to
save it, that the scion wood root?

3. Is there much point to P. x domestica (European plum) being grafted on a
special dwarfing rootstock, since they are already by nature (and through
their productivity) naturally semi-dwarf?

4. Which is better: apricot on Krymsk 1 or on Manchurian apricot seedling but
pruned - for the long-term of the tree?

Thanks,
Steve, NJ 6b/7a

  • [NAFEX] Cherrys & Plums out-growing dwarfing rootstocks & misc., Steven Covacci, 11/16/2011