nafex - [NAFEX] More pucker than persimmons

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: NAFEX Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] More pucker than persimmons
  • Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 22:39:48 -0700

This is Sorbus domestica. Fresh from the tree it’s more puckery than a
persimmon. Bump it to releases enzymes in it and let it sit for a few hours
and it quickly loses the astringency and develops a flavor like rum. Used for
juice and cider in Europe. I’ve never seen a worm in any of mine. Wood is so
hard it can dull an axe. The post in the picture is a 2x2 stake.
Grew them from seed that came from material from Luther Burbank. I can
provide seed. Sent a batch to Ken Asmus at Oikos a couple of years ago, so
he may have trees.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, book, The Grape Grower, at
http://www.bunchgrapes.com Winner GWA "Best Talent in Writing" 2003.
Grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html View a short, low
resolution clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q58zFY0B1M
A video about The Grape Grower :