nafex - Re: [NAFEX] NAFEX list & Google+ opportunity.

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] NAFEX list & Google+ opportunity.
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 00:22:16 -0400

On Oct 9, 2011, at 9:23 PM, Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:

> On 10/9/2011 8:25 PM, Chris Garriss wrote:
>> I would have some concern about the amount of personal information many
>> social networks "share" with or without the permission of the individual.
>> Location in real time, likes, dislikes, pictures, friends, relatives etc.
>
> That is limited to what you put in your profile and where you want your
> profile to be made accessible . . .

There are some concerns with Google+ and privacy, but they mostly are an
issue for people who don't use their legal name on at least some of their
internet activity. Google+'s implementation of it's "real name" policy leaves
something to be desired. I know of at least one person who had tried to use a
nickname. Google+ somehow guessed at his "real name", got it wrong, but then
put that name not only on his Google+ account but also on some other Google
services he used, (which were already published to other people) without
warning him it would do so.

That being said, I use Google+, and agree that it is in many ways better than
Facebook. If you create a Google+ presence for NAFEX, I would like to join.
You will have an awkward issue that few NAFEX users use a gmail account on
NAFEX, so all these people (including me) will need to subscribe to the NAFEX
group with a different email account than they use for the mailing list. But
I'm sure the details can be worked out.

Ginda Fisher
Eastern MA, zone 6, where the unusual weather has convinced some plants that
it is spring. Oh - and on a fruit note - I roto-tilled and re-seeded part of
my lawn this fall. Lots of weeds are sprouting among the grass seeds. The
most peculiar "weed" is tomatoes. I have tomato seedlings everywhere. I guess
the chipmunks that have eaten my entire crop have been spreading seeds, and
some of those seeds were even ripe enough to sprout. Who knew?