nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grafting Tools

  • From: Chris Garriss <cgarriss@garriss.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grafting Tools
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 08:57:52 -0400

I've grafted both ways - using a knife requires more skill, and is for me
slower than a tool. Using a tool is faster - again for me - but scion /
stock sizes are more problematic. The tools really only handle a range of
sizes that are not too small or too large.

When Lee Calhoun was running his custom grafting operation he used a
commercial tool that handled a wider range of sizes than the tools
reasonable to purchase for an individual or small group of people. A
hundred USD vs several hundred USD.

The tool is, in my experience, far simpler for neophytes. And, there is
really no difference in how the graft is handled tool vs knife once done.
From observation the "takes" from the tool are about the same as with a
knife - except that I've seen some people never master using a knife but had
reasonable success rates with the tool.

Chris