nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Off Topic - Homemade carbonated drinks

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Off Topic - Homemade carbonated drinks
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 10:59:17 -0700

Raisins do have yeast on the surface, and are used for a traditional Irish
starter, barm brack.

Sometimes the antipathogenic compounds in a plant will have a positive
effect on microorganisms the plant doesn't see as a threat. That's what's
going on in the case of ginger, but I don't know the specific chemical or
method of action. A very small amount of ginger will help yeast growth, and
is often used in breadmaking. I mix a combination of ingredients to add to
sandwich breads to give them a texture that will hold up well - more like
the commercial sandwich breads in texture, but still very homemade in flavor
and quality of crust and crumb. There are other spices and herbs that
encourage or discourage yeast growth, such as the ginger relative, cardamom.

Jay, we both mentioned raisins - are we getting back on topic?

~ Stephen