nafex - Re: [NAFEX] American plum (wild plum; P. americana) - Discussion of edibility.

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@bellsouth.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] American plum (wild plum; P. americana) - Discussion of edibility.
  • Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2011 02:41:57 -0400

On 9/4/2011 12:27 AM, Steven Covacci wrote:

This is, for the most part, a re-visit of a topic I initiated last
year regarding the edibility of certain native wild plum species,
particularly American plum (P. americana), Chickasaw plum (P.
angustifolia), wild-goose plum/Munson's plum (P. munsoniana) and
Canadian plum (P. nigra) - these in comparison to beach plum (P.
maritima).

I have a few wild plum trees on my property; the largest lacks enough sunlight to fruit properly but I get a few each year; it grows where it sprouted from seed.
When in bloom, it looks like this, though mine has many more branches than the on in the pic:
http://www.friendsofeloisebutler.org/generaljpegs/Seasons/landscape/amwildplum300.jpg
The fruit are mostly yellow to orange as shown in this example:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidlebovitz/3883906798/