nafex - Re: [NAFEX] American plum (wild plum; P. americana) - Discussion of edibility.

  • From: Matt Demmon <mdemmon@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] American plum (wild plum; P. americana) - Discussion of edibility.
  • Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2011 07:21:39 -0400

I replied to this last year as well, but I'll do it briefly again! My
experience is strictly with wild trees in my area, southeast Michigan.

American Plum ranges from delicious, sweet with a hint of tart, as good as a
sweet cherry for eating out of hand, to extremely astringent and not edible
for fresh eating.

Canada Plum, not as common in this area, so sample size is smaller, however
have all been very similar, falling off the tree when still very firm, and
so astringent you can't eat them. On the dry side too.

And the one chickasaw plum that I've found was juicy and crisp, but pretty
darn tart and not much sweet.

tree is, are among the best tasting fruits I've ever eaten. Your experience
may vary wildly. And that tree seems to fruit about 1 out of 3 years, in
sync with all the other american plums along that roadside.

-matt
z5 se MI