nafex - [NAFEX] [ARTICLE] Alcoholic Beverages Made from Icelandic Birch

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] [ARTICLE] Alcoholic Beverages Made from Icelandic Birch
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 18:56:55 -0400

I expect they are made from the sap. It's not a fruit product but I think somewhat relevant to the list.
See
<http://icelandreview.com/icelandreview/daily_news/Alcoholic_Beverages_Made_from_Icelandic_Birch_0_381546.news.aspx>

Before Norse settlement some 1150 years ago much of Iceland was treed and the main tree was birch. Sheep farming drastically reduced the tree cover to almost nothing, but in recent decades there have been significant efforts at reforestation. Native berries have long been popular and I am told that recently gardeners have started to plant apple trees, though spring weather can be rough.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

  • [NAFEX] [ARTICLE] Alcoholic Beverages Made from Icelandic Birch, Douglas Woodard, 08/31/2011