nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fwd: Forum and Pomona

  • From: Chris Garriss <cgarriss@garriss.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fwd: Forum and Pomona
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 19:47:06 -0400

The listserv costs zero.

You can save passwords in Firefox, and they are not cleared when history
is cleared. They can be cleared if you want. They are stored in a file
with the user id in plain text, and the password encrypted. However, by
default that file us not password protected - it can be, but without doing
so all passwords can be decrypted with about 3 mouse clicks.

Chris
On Aug 11, 2011 5:35 PM, "Leslie Moyer" <unschooler@lrec.org> wrote:
> I sent this yesterday but didn't see it go through....I was going to
forget about resending it, but then Deb picked the topic up again today.

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: Leslie Moyer <unschooler@lrec.org>
> Date: August 10, 2011 10:38:52 PM CDT
> To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
> Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Forum and Pomona
>
> But the switch to the forum presumably is saving no money, correct? Does
the email list cost anything to run? Does it cost more or less than the
forum? It seems to me like if the members of this list should have been
involved in the decision about whether they want to switch to the forum or
not. I may have missed it, but I didn't see any discussion about that here.
I can't think of a better place to get members input about that than
here.... I didn't even know there was a forum until it was brought up the
last day or two here. There are already forums out there on "edible
landscaping" topics (which include a lot of fruit). They're much more active
and more user-friendly than the NAFEX forum. Here's one, for example:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/edible/ That same general forum site has
specific groups to discuss individual plants such as figs, etc. As good as
that forum is, I don't use it either as it is, as Glinda said, a "pull"
technology....I have to remem
> ber go to there or have a specific reason to do so.
>
> And, re: the assertion that the forums are "easy to use"...I've already
been stymied by them. I logged into the membership page just fine, but when
I tried to log onto the forums it gave me an error message and said I had to
reset my password (via email, I think) with the forum administrator (or
something like that). Did I do it? No--I gave up. I had already waited over
60 seconds for EACH of the three pages to load (members page login, forum
page login, forum login failed page)....so three minutes and NO progress
viewing even a single thread. The software seems particularly clunky (which
I think added to the download time)--there was one page that loaded and then
another "overlay" that loaded over the top of that that also had to load, so
each page had to basically load twice.