nafex - Re: [NAFEX] forum versus email

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] forum versus email
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 18:23:33 -0400

On Aug 11, 2011, at 5:23 PM, Deb S wrote:

We have a plug in to the membership
software that automatically grants permission to a member to enter and post
in the Forum. Members do not have to log in to the Forum once they have
entered the website.

But it would still be necessary to log in to the website, no? otherwise, how would the website know that one is a member?

I think somebody said that I can in some fashion have Firefox automatically log me in to specific sites even if it's set to wipe all private history each day. I'll have to investigate this, maybe over the winter. But in that case presumably anybody who uses such a computer, or at least anyone who uses that user account, is automatically logged on; so I certainly wouldn't want to do that for anything that remotely needed to be secure, which admittedly most likely doesn't include NAFEX.

Deb, I do appreciate your work on this, though I haven't been to the forum -- for one thing, I gather I'd need to start by looking up my membership information, which is probably hanging around somewhere, most likely in whatever was the last paper issue of Pomona I got, which may be somewhere in the market van as I used to read this at market during slow stretches. I suspect what's going on is that forums are easier to use for some people, and email is easier to use for others, for reasons having less to do with the technology than with individual preferences in how to do things. I don't find email a hassle. I do find forums a hassle.

I don't think anybody said that any single home computer is more reliable than a good site host. But information saved on a lot of different home computers, and by the various backup techniques used by the owners of those computers, as well as saved on line, is more secure than information only saved by the site host. Also, not everyone has reliable internet connections; information in one's own computer may be accessable when the online version isn't.