nafex - [NAFEX] collecting wild red raspberry germplasm

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • To: "nafex@lists.ibiblio.org" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] collecting wild red raspberry germplasm
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 14:46:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hello everyone,

A few years ago I sent a request to the list asking for people to send me
wild black raspberry fruit from across North America for work I was doing as
part of my PhD project.  List members were tremndously helpful in that
project and it was wildly successful.  We were able to identify multiple
sources of insect and disease resistance from the wild material that was
assembled, selections from these wild seed lots are being crossed and new
selections with superior resistance are being identified in the USDA breeding
program in Corvallis, Oregon.   Leftover seed was also deposited in the
National Clonal Germplasm Repository so that others with an interest in this
genetic material can access it.

Well, I'm at it again.  I'm currently working on a collaborative project
between the USDA in Corvallis, and Agriculture and Agri-Foods Canada to
identify new sources of useful traits (particularly resistance to
phytophthora root rot) in wild red raspberry from across North America.  It
is an exciting project that includes modeling using GIS tools and other
information to help predict where populations that are likely to carry
resistance may be found in the future as well as using genetic markers to
identify whether the same genes are involved in conferring resistance from
populations across North America or whether certain resistance genes are
locally or regionally distinct.  If you would like to know more about this
project or would like to help by sending us wild red raspberry fruit or seed,
please send me an email and I will get back to you.  The project is starting
this fall and we will be collecting seed over the next few seasons so if you
think
you might like to help let me know and I will send you more information as
well as a reminder as the season approaches next year.

Thank you all for your help,

Michael Dossett

Michael Dossett
Mission, British Columbia