nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Peaches and squirrels

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Peaches and squirrels
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 13:07:37 -0400

I highly recommend the Kania brand lethal traps. I have found them much more
reliable than Havahart and similar live traps. You need to start baiting
them in March in order to get the squirrels cleared out by peach season -- if
they have found the peaches already it is much harder to get them to stick
their heads in a trap. Also you need around one trap per quarter acre in
order to get enough coverage on different squirrel approaches. I have two
Kania traps and recently ordered two more for the south side of my orchard
which has been getting too much squirrel activity with traps on the N side
only. In my orchard I probably trap 3-4 dozen squirrels per year in my two
traps. Baiting the traps requires some trial and error, my method is to use
pecans in the bait area and push them through the wire mesh to release the
oils and so the squirrels will see bits of pecan they could directly grab.
Mast needs to be left outside of the trap to entice them in as well - I push
pecans under the bar right by the entrance to do this (although the birds
regularly steal it). I have never heard of anyone failing with these traps
if they were put out early enough and experiments with different baiting
methods done to find one that works. Peanut butter is another good bait to
try.

The peanut butter / PoP method seems to be hit and miss, Mark Angermayer did
a test and determined it was not lethal, but it may be uncomfortable enough
to convince some squirrels to go elsewhere. My squirrels just ate them,
burped, and went back to the peaches. The cage method is very good for a
limited number of trees. I successfully thinned them with a pellet gun but
it requires constant vigilance and was just too much work for the reward.

Scott