nafex - [NAFEX] SUBJECT: Tree Rats

  • From: Richard D Hansen <rdhans01@louisville.edu>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] SUBJECT: Tree Rats
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 11:21:46 -0400

I am at a loss at how to handle the fluffy tailed tree rat AKA squirrel
problem. Just a few of them completely ate/destroyed most of the peach
crop from 4 trees and the few plums I had from Howards Miracle. I had
already trapped 7 of them this year (gave them swimming lessons) but
they just keep coming. I tried hot pepper but it did nothing, they still
ate them like crazy. I have not tried the peanut butter plaster of
paris balls because the reviews were mixed, but I am ready to try that
now after this episode. I would like to prevent them from getting the
apples before they ripen. What are your thoughts? Is there a decent
repellent? Can any of you comment on the peanut butter/plaster paris
balls?

Thanks

Richard Hansen
Zone 6b