nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Currants

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Currants
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 18:27:39 -0700 (PDT)

Would you email me a pic off list?

--- On Wed, 6/22/11, Sarah and Steve Masterman <ssmasterman@hotmail.com>
wrote:

From: Sarah and Steve Masterman <ssmasterman@hotmail.com>
Subject: [NAFEX] Currants
To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Date: Wednesday, June 22, 2011, 4:02 PM

Our currants are showing signs of stress. The last two seasons they have
started to bud at the right time, but the buds and young leaves stop
developing for almost a month, with larger leaves only just starting to show
on new shoots. The leaves on the older branches are all less than 1" across
and most are less than 1/2". They have light green centers (lighter than the
new growth) transitioning out to yellow and in some cases brown edges. They
did not fruit last year and will not again this year. The leaves on the new
growth do not have the yellow to brown edges like the older leaves.

We live in Fairbanks Alaska and have them in our orchard where other things
like apples, pears, plums, gooseberries, saskatoons and honeyberries all seem
to do well. I can't see any insects on the plants, and both red and
blackcurrants are affected equally. In reading up on this I have several
theories - lack of nitrogen, lack of potassium, lack of water and root-bound
due to compacted soil. Not sure if its any of these or something else. Anyone
got any ideas?

Steve