nafex - [NAFEX] black currants

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] black currants
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 16:12:32 -0500

Ginda, not all black currants are unpleasant raw and in fact some are very
good to eat that way. Crusader and the other variety developed in Canada
for rust resistance is pretty cat pissy but many other varieties are quite
good. I like Ben Loman and Cascade just fine and there are a few others I'm
trying now that are supposed to taste better still.

If you like preserves on your bread, black currants make the most wonderful
preserves I've ever eaten- I barely cook them while stirring in raw sugar
(lots of it!) and voila. I keep clean currants frozen for this purpose and
make up fairly small batches that keep in the fridge for well over a month.