nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Rootstock for Apricot?

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Rootstock for Apricot?
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 17:15:50 -0400

Steven, I would expect that you can use any apricot cultivar that is comfortable in your area, and probably any seedling of such an apricot, as a rootstock for Tomcot, or any other apricot - if and only if your soil suits apricot roots.

If your soil is developed from clay or clay loam, I think your chances will be better if you use a plum type rootstock. I would not recommend Marianna for apricot, and I don't know anything about Citation.

The older plum rootstocks Brompton, St. Julien A, and Pershore Yellow Egg are considered compatible with apricot and peach. Or you could use one of them as an interstem on Myrobalan. You could probably develop one as a rootstock by budding or grafting it on P. tomentosa (Nanking cherry), P, besseyi (Western sand cherry) or P. pumila (Eastern sand cherry ) possibly including relatives P. susquehanae, P.cuneata and P. depressa, using it as a nurse root and planting with the union below ground. Of course this would take longer.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada