nafex - [NAFEX] off topic: foxes

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: NAFEX Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] off topic: foxes
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 18:34:57 -0400

Foxes eat rabbits, and help protect my plants, right? So foxes aren't
completely off-topic. But does anyone know how likely they are to eat (or
kill) house cats? We seem to have a rather bold fox in the neighborhood. I
just saw him trot by, and I let in a rather nervous-looking cat. The cat is
critical for controlling birds and chipmunks around my currants, (and she
eats young rabbits) but she's also a pet, and I'm wondering how risky it is
out there.

On the plus side, I suppose if we have a fox this year, we probably don't
have coyotes this year. . .

Weird looking fox, for what it's worth. I think it's a red fox (the species,
that is), but his back is mostly brown. Sort of a mottled fox. I have seen
a gray fox in the area, but I think those are larger than this one.

Ginda
Eastern MA, zone 6