nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Planting near house confers winter-protection to roots?

  • From: Matt Demmon <mdemmon@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Planting near house confers winter-protection to roots?
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 16:17:52 -0400

Depends on how well your basement is insulated. Should help a little no
matter what, and even more significant can be the protection from biting
winds. We get cold west winds all winter here, I plant some more tender
plants on the east side of the house and have good results.

Watch out for southern exposures and early warming. Warm south wall might
promote early leafing. I think north or east is probably best.

-matt
z5 se MI