nafex - [NAFEX] Planting near house confers winter-protection to roots?

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Planting near house confers winter-protection to roots?
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 00:26:44 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Group:

Does planting a tree/shrub near a home that is marginally hardy to your
region confer a significant degree of winter-protection. I live in zone
6b/7a and would like to experiment with growing a black mulberry (Morus
nigra) and a cold-hardy cultivar of pomegranate. I can plant these 5' from
my house.

Would the ground that is a few feet away from my house be a bit warmer? If
so, this could be a good thing in case the temperature drops low-enought to
kill the trees above the crown, that perhaps, the root-system would survive.

Thanks,
Steve