nafex - Re: [NAFEX] 4 in one trees

  • From: david liezen <chandos49@hotmail.com>
  • To: Nat'l Ass'n of Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] 4 in one trees
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 17:05:04 +0000

Caren,
I certainly agree. I have yet to find one of these bargain trees tagged with
rootstock used. As I am learning, rootstock makes a huge difference, in
addition to the concerns you already noted. I have run across so many people
who have been sold something that has no disease resistance, or requires
other spraying (an orchardist near here must spray Honeycrisp weekly to keep
up with its calcium requirements in our soil), or requires a longer growing
season than we have. Someone down the street bought a 4-in-one which includes
Fuji and also a Fuji on its own, which he planted 6 feet away - no clue of
the rootstocks used. "They told me these are dwarfs." He can only hope.

Dave Liezen, E. WA, z6