nafex - Re: [NAFEX] the best of all garden labels

  • From: "Dr. Lucky Pittman" <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] the best of all garden labels
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 15:57:49 -0500

I've been using 16 ga. Aluminum electric fence wire to attach labels(cut
from old aluminum venetian blinds) to some of my trees - sort of in the same
fashion as the UV-protected cable ties Scott Smith showed us - but rather
than stapling, I've just 'driven' the end of the wire under the bark for an
inch or two - mainly on pecans/hickories - during 'bark slip' period, it's
not difficult to do, and if you need to make a slit in the bark to
accommodate the wire, it heals pretty rapidly.
The soft aluminum wire will never degrade due to UV exposure, and even if
someone, years down the road, encounters the wire with a saw, it will cut
right through, causing no damage to blade or chain, and minimal danger of
'kickback'.

Lucky