nafex - Re: [NAFEX] transplanting a young apple tree, and garden labels

  • From: Louis Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: gerald@quebecemail.com, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] transplanting a young apple tree, and garden labels
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 06:13:07 -0500

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 2:32 PM, Gérald Tremblay
<gerald@quebecemail.com>wrote:

> I use to make my own labels with alluminum from tin can (beer or pepsi).
> Cheap and usefull.
>
> I've done that, too - but deer will chew/mangle the thin labels, destroying
them,or, at best, making them difficult, if not impossible to read. Wish
I'd concurrently maintained an updated orchard map on paper or in the
computer.
I have a number of pear and persimmon varieties that are now 'unidentified',
thanks to the hooved rats.

Old aluminum venetian blinds, with baked-on enamel coating, can be scribed
with a nail to make a very durable tag. When I can remember to do so, I
usually try to bury one in the mulch at the base of the tree, on its north
side, in addition to one hung in the tree with 16 ga. aluminum wire.

Lucky