nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Summer grafting of persimmons

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Summer grafting of persimmons
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 19:12:28 -0400

I tried one last year, did a chip bud in June from a this-years shoot I saw a
dormant bud on by the base of a leaf already. I forced it in two weeks by
cutting most of the top of the stock and bending over; the graft proceeded to
put on about 3' of new growth last year. I didn't remove the bent-over shoot
until the plant was dormant, it wasn't growing much after I bent it over.
Overall I was pretty impressed, it did a lot better than I had expected.

Scott