nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Summer grafting of persimmons

  • From: <topgun@otelco.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Summer grafting of persimmons
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 16:47:32 -0500

Thanks a lot! May try some!

Topgun
----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Smith" <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Monday, May 09, 2011 6:12 PM

I tried one last year, did a chip bud in June from a this-years shoot I saw a dormant bud on by the base of a leaf already. I forced it in two weeks by cutting most of the top of the stock and bending over; the graft proceeded to put on about 3' of new growth last year. I didn't remove the bent-over shoot until the plant was dormant, it wasn't growing much after I bent it over. Overall I was pretty impressed, it did a lot better than I had expected.

Scott