nafex - [NAFEX] How small can stone-fruit trees be maintained and still be productive?

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] How small can stone-fruit trees be maintained and still be productive?
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 00:24:45 -0400 (EDT)

Group:

I have a couple of stone-fruit trees:

apricot (own rootstock)
European plum [semi-dwarf cultivar]
sweet cherry (dwarfing rootstock)
peach (dwarfing rootstock)

I have very little space and don't like dedicating large/full spaces to trees
which may end-up having a short life-span, such as is often the case with the
cultivated stone-fruits.

What is a reasonable size to maintain these at, so that they are not too
small - and therefore, are not too unproductive? I've seen images online of
peach, apricot, persimmon, and other orchard crop trees maintained extremely
small in rows. Perhaps, that might work for a commercial orchard, that there
would be not much per specimen, but little labor expense.

So, can all of these above be maintained at 8' tall x 6' wide and still
provide a good quantity for home-use?

Thanks,
Steve; NJ 6b/7a

  • [NAFEX] How small can stone-fruit trees be maintained and still be productive?, Steven Covacci, 05/09/2011