nafex - [NAFEX] Potting up grafted trees

  • From: cevanko@civconinc.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Potting up grafted trees
  • Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 14:48:28 -0400

Terry,
To pot up my bench grafts for the summer I use 3 gallon pots, the cheapest I can find, and a mixture of 3 parts peat, 1 part topsoil, 1 part sand, and a dash of lime. I've had great success with the rootstocks staying alive, tho my grafting skill needs more practice. I plant them in the nursery after the leaves have fallen. If the graft fails, I keep the rootstock in the pot and overwinter it in the garage. I try again the following spring.
Craig
Z5 Illinois

  • [NAFEX] Potting up grafted trees, cevanko, 05/05/2011