nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Butternut/White Walnut - disease issues.

  • From: Louis Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Butternut/White Walnut - disease issues.
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 03:47:27 -0500

Yah.
I can't speak to the dominance/recessiveness of inheritance of the heartnut
trait in a breeding population - like the polled trait(no horns) in cattle,
which is dominant to the horned trait. I presume that the heartnut mutation
may be dominant to the typical species nut shape and morphology, but I've
only grown out a handful of heartnut and Japanese walnut seedlings, and none
have produced nuts yet, so I can't even hazard a guess as to what shape the
nuts will be when they do.
But - some of the buartnut photos I've seen suggest a nut character somewhat
intermediate between that of butternut and heartnut, and some of the hybrids
look, for all intents and purposes, like butternuts, so my initial thought
that the heartnut shape might be dominant may be full of holes.

LLP