nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Butternut/White Walnut - disease issues.

  • From: Matt Demmon <mdemmon@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Butternut/White Walnut - disease issues.
  • Date: Sun, 1 May 2011 07:06:22 -0400

Steve, at least here in Michigan, the experts have been saying that there
are pretty much no resistant butternuts. All the 'butternuts' that they've
found that are surviving are actually hybrids with Japanese walnut
(heartnut). Some hybrids look indistinguishable, at least to me, from
butternut. But all of the straight species is being wiped out here.

-matt
z5 se MI