nafex - Re: [NAFEX] lilac question

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] lilac question
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 07:48:25 -0400

On Apr 18, 2011, at 7:14 AM, Jerrydana5@aol.com wrote:

> I have some hybrid Lilacs and there are a couple of suckers growing up
> about a foot away. Will those suckers, if they are transplanted, grow into
> hybrid lilacs? Or regular lilacs? Or nothing? Jerry in southern Indiana.

It depends. Lilacs are often propagated from suckers. If yours were
propagated from suckers they would be on their own roots and the suckers
would be the same as the parent plant. Less commonly lilacs are propagated
by grafting, and in that case, they could have been grafted on some other
lilac (one that suckers more readily) or even possibly onto privet, which is
graft-comptible with most lilacs.

You might look to see if there is any sign of a graft scar on your plants, or
you could just try growing out the suckers and seeing what you get.

Ginda
eastern MA, zone 6, where the forsythia is in bloom, and the lilacs aren't,
yet.