nafex - Re: [NAFEX] rooting Red Currants

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam (MPCA)" <sam.brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] rooting Red Currants
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 12:54:27 -0500

Ginda, I think cuttings should still root this spring even though the buds on
the plant are beginning to break. Spade up a spot where the soil's friable,
in full sun or partial shade. Take cuttings of last season's growth asap,
trying to have at least 5 nodes. Snip the terminal bud off each cutting.
Stick the cuttings in the area you've worked up, apical end up, with one or
more buds sticking out of the ground. Water the cuttings in well. Water
whenever the soil appears dry and pull any weeds that come up among the
cuttings. The cuttings should be well rooted by late summer. -- Sam
Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn. (USDA hardiness zone 4b).