nafex - [NAFEX] Off topic: eating rabbits and tularemia

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Off topic: eating rabbits and tularemia
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 10:36:47 EDT

In a message dated 4/11/2011 9:11:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
6ducks@gmail.com writes:

> I have thought about eating some of our surplus rabbits, but was under
> the
> impression that Tularemia (which can be contracted through handling wild
> rabbits) was a significant enough issue in the Midwest that I have avoided
> direct contact.

Hi Ducky Michele,

The Indiana DRN has one paragraph about it at:
http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/cottontail.pdf

They are safe to eat when well cooked. If one has an open sore or break in
the skin that the rabbits blood can enter, rubber gloves should be used when
dressing out. If the rabbit is sickly, runs very slow or shows signs of
being unhealthy don't chance it. Ticks can also carry the disease.

Lucky P. might weigh in on this.

Jerry

  • [NAFEX] Off topic: eating rabbits and tularemia, Jwlehman, 04/11/2011