nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fertilizing peaches?

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: nottke1 <nottke1@earthlink.net>, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fertilizing peaches?
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 07:15:59 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Jim,

You raise a good point about any gross generalizations. I'm a big advocate
of "listening to your trees". If they are growing vigorously, produce well
and the leaves have a healthy green color, you may not need fertilization
other than that provided by your mulch.

In general, peaches are relatively heavy feeders (say vs. pears), so on my
soils I give them a dose of feather meal, blood meal, calcium nitrate or
cottonseed meal in the Spring & Fall, but if they're growing well, you may
not need any of that.

Anton
North Carolina piedmont